Funky Nail or Serious Problem?
Common Mechanism of Injury:
- Nail appears blue, black, or purple
- Stub toe
- Getting stepped on
- Kicked something
- Damage to nail
- Observation: rest, ice, compress, elevate (RICE)
- Trephination (poke holes in nail to relieve pressure)
- Partial Nail Avulsion (remove part of the nail)
- Total Nail Avulsion (remove all of the nail)
- Hand Injury: Plastic Surgeon
- Foot Injury: Podiatrist
Patel, Lina. 2014. “Management of Simple Nail Bed Lacerations and Subungual Hematomas in the Emergency Department.” Pediatric Emergency Care 30 (10): 742–45; quiz 746–48.